To begin with the answer to a very important question...can I work a random photo from China into every post I write? Answer, yes, I can...and there are still a lot of photos left...this one is hotpot, a concoction of chili oil, chilis, sichuan pepper...it has a reputation for being so intensely spicy that none can actually eat it, hence the fish soup thing in the middle (so we'd have something to eat after all)...the idea is to drop stuff in it, sort of a Sichuan fondue and then fish it out, dip it in sesame oil, then eat it. Sadly, we didn't find it that hot...don't get me wrong on this, it was hot...but not so hot that I couldn't eat it. I was somewhat disappointed.
Second question, this one from Chloe, who asked 'where have you been Kimananda?' Answer: my life has been hotting up, not unlike a Sichuan hotpot (or maybe hotter). I'm working every teaching hour God (and my director) sends, studying, reading, and thinking about my project-to-be, re-writing my last project, my impending thesis. I'm trying the whole time management thing, and it's going well...except, I can't seem to work in actually writing. Yes, in all my activity, I've lost writing. Academic writing, blog writing, writing. But now, it's slowly coming back. I hope. Time will tell. In the meantime, I offer you, dear reader, a small meme. It's going around so fast that it's hard to tell whom to acknowledge, but how about Cathy? Or Scholiast? Or Morose? Or, of course, Chloe.
1. A Cuddler? In general, not too much, but yes when I'm in a relationship with a cuddler. Right now, I'm in relationship with a cuddler, so I'm a cuddler. It's nice.
2. A morning person? I can be. I don't like to get up too early, but once I'm up, I'm generally pretty awake.
3. Are you a perfectionist? Yes, in a big way. It's a defining feature, in a warped, linked with chronic procrastination way.
4. An only child? Nope.
5. Catholic: Nope.
6. In your pajamas? Nope, fully dressed except for shoes.
7. Currently suffering from a broken heart? Not at all.
8. Okay styling other people's hair? I am no good with hair. I don't have the coordination for it.
9. Left handed? Nope.
10. Addicted to MySpace? A confession: I've never really checked it out. It doesn't sound very interesting.
11. Shy around the opposite gender? I'm fairly shy in general, though years of teaching has given me the gift of not always appearing so. But I'm not more shy around any particular gender.
12. Loud? I can be very loud if I'm in conversation. Otherwise, not so much.
12-and-a-half. Bite your nails? Mainly my cuticles. It can get pretty gross. I can plot my close relationships based on how they react to this.
13. Get paranoid at times? Yes. For example, if I've had too much coffee. I'm very sensitive to caffeine.
14. Currently regret something that you have said/done? Not at the moment. I have that shy person feeling that I must have said something wrong in any conversation, but I don't take that feeling too seriously.
15. Curse frequently when you get mad? On occasion.
16. Enjoy country music? Not in general, but like every genre, there is some good country out there. It's the natural genre for really funny lyrics.
17. Enjoy jazz music? This makes me think of a former colleague who passionately hated jazz...I believe his exact definition was 'musical wanking'. I'm sure there's some good jazz in the world, but I don't know enough about it to say what that good jazz is.
18. Enjoy smoothies? They're o.k., but often not quite as good as I would expect them to be.
19. Enjoy talking on the phone? I used to a lot, and I still do on occasion, but only with people that I already know quite well. Otherwise, I'll go to great lengths to not have to call people. Except for work. I like phone interviews, they're fun.
20. Have a lot to learn? Don't we all?
21. Have a pet? Nope, and I would like one. A dog. Or barring that, some goldfish.
22. Have a tendency to fall for the "wrong" person? No, with a couple exceptions, I've fallen for some pretty nice, smart, funny, cute, sexy guys.
23. Have all your grandparents died? Yes.
24. Have at least one sibling? See #4.
25. Have been told that you are smart? Yes, many times. Often accompanied by some statement about my potential, and living up to the same. It drives me mad...but there's a point in there too, that I'm trying to face.
26. Have had a broken bone? Nope.
27. Have Caller I.D. on your phone? Well, I can see the number of who's calling, so I suppose I must have. It's nothing I set up.
28. Changed a diaper? Many, in my years as a babysitter.
29. Changed a lot over the past year? I am in a continual state of change, I hope for the better.
30. Had friends who have never seen your natural hair color? You can see my natural hair color in my profile pic. Close friends, and some family have seen me with dyed and/or bleached hair, but that was a long time ago.
31. Had surgery? Nope.
32. Killed anyone? Not that I know of.
33. Had your haircut within the last week? Haircuts are a prime procrastination item for me. It's been a while.
LAST PERSON WHO:
1. Slept in the bed beside you? Danish Man.
2. Saw you cry?: I don't remember. However, seeing as I cry at the sad parts of any book, wherever I am at the time, it was probably a trainload of people I don't know.
3. Went to the movies with you? Danish Man.
4. You went to the mall with?: Mall? Do we have malls in Denmark? Oh, yes...I popped into a mall before a seminar about a month ago. With two school colleagues.
5. You went to dinner with? Ms. Black Scorpio.
6. You talked to on the phone? Uh...Danish Man...he's about the only one I actually talk to on the phone. To everyone else, I am more likely to text.
7. Said 'I love you' to you and meant it? My brother.
8. Broke your heart? Uh...not sure actually. Whomever it was, it healed.
9. Made you laugh? My brother. He's funny.
WOULD YOU RATHER?
1. Pierce your nose or tongue? I've long wanted to pierce my nose. Probably will never get around to it.
2. Be serious or be funny? Both, preferably at the same time.
3. Drink whole or skim milk? Hmmm, it depends. Skim milk in coffee, cream over cereal.
4. Die in a fire or drown? Neither. If someone held a gun to my head, and made me choose, I'd choose the gun...much less drawn out than fire or drowning.
5. Spend time with your parents or enemies? Parents, obviously.
1. What time is it? 11:35 p.m.
2. Name? On this forum, kimananda (with a small 'k', though I'm pretty inconsistent about this).
3. Nickname(s)? Kim
4. Where were you born? California.
5. What is your birthdate? 28 August, too many years ago to remember.
6. What do you want? Right now, a bit of time, and a stipend to study without all this work malarkey. While I'm requesting things, I'll add health to those who are unhealthy (you know who you are), and maybe a house in Christianshavn.
7. Where do you want to live? Well, Christianshavn, overlooking a canal. I'd also like weekend homes in San Francisco, London, Lisbon, and maybe Chengdu or Beijing.
8. How many kids do you want? This is a subject under negotiation at the moment, but not yet decided. Maybe one, maybe not. Not more than one, I don't think.