lørdag, marts 01, 2008

Speaking of overachieving

One plus of blogging everyday for that part of me that pays attention to statistics, is that yesterday was not just weekiversary and leap day. It was also the day in which I have blogged more in 2008 than in all of 2007. I honestly can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Or, to put it in a different way, is it just quantity, or is there any quality there? I really can't decide that either. I find that the whole reason for this blog, and the satisfaction that I get from blogging, has changed utterly. To what, I'm not quite sure I've figured it out.

Questions being considered are, while I'm clearly writing with the idea that what I write will be read by others, am I really writing for others, or just myself? Is this an exercise in meeting a daily deadline, or is there more going on? Am I trying to express thought or intuition or art...or something else entirely...or nothing? And to go back to quantity vs. quality, is one so much better than the other? I ask this in the spirit of 'the best way to get a good idea is to have lots of ideas'. Which of course begs the question, is it the blogger's job to separate beautiful well-formed posts from all the rest? Or is it up to the blogger just to get the ideas out there, and the reader's job to see if anything said happens for whatever reason to resonate?

This seems like something that is better pondered earlier in the day, something to return to later. But until I do, any thoughts and/or answers to rhetorical questions are greatly appreciated.

3 kommentarer:

Devil Mood sagde ...

I can't think of a reason good enough for it not being a good thing. From my perspective it's pretty good. It's good to feel that someone is here, especially considering that the majority of the people in my blog-roll seem to have gone off blogging.
Blogging for me involves a series of contradictory feelings and issues. What I'm saying is that I can never answer those questions myself. I never know why I'm blogging, why I started, what makes a good post...sometimes I wonder if my brain has gone on vacation...;)
Let's assume we blog for our own benefit, it must have started that way at least. As long as it brings us either satisfaction, a place to let off steam, ponder, rant, communicate, get some answers...whatever, let's keep doing it, okay? :)

Unknown sagde ...

I have to confess something. You know, since a couple of months ago, I can't allow myself to turn off my laptop till I've read Kimananda's post. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm also thinking, am I really just reading Kimananda's blog for myself??? I'm afraid so... So, now you know the selfish motivation of one of your readers. Maybe satisfying your friends on distance is part of your motivation too? :)

kimananda sagde ...

Ms. Mood, I'm not planning to go anywhere, but I am in a state of unrest in my life generally, which is spilling over into my blogging life as well. And I know what you mean about people going off blogging. It's happened to a lot of my favorites as well. But I'm glad for those of you who are still around. :-)

Annemarie, that is so lovely! It's gotten me feeling a lot better. :-) And yes, letting people know that I'm still alive is definitely part of the blogging mission.

And...though you can probably guess...the stroopwafels were delicious. :-D