mandag, november 19, 2007

It's all about the cheese

I keep hearing references to Norwegian brown cheese (which I have learned to call gedeost, like the true Dane that I am), and it's giving me a bit of a craving. After the stores have closed, which is too bad, as I could otherwise go across the street and buy some right now. Not in nifty slices like in the photo, but the same brand anyway. Actually, like the red package, just not in slices.

It's odd stuff, this gedeost. The first time I tried it, it reminded me somehow of the cheese which comes in the little plastic container part of the cheese and crackers. I still have this association, and I still don't know why. The taste is completely different, the texture is not totally the same, and of course the levels of junk-foodiness...totally different. But yet, there is something the same (and I've introduced people to it who've somehow agreed with me, though again not for any reason that they could quite put into words). I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. But I didn't not like it. The second time, I liked it a bit more. At some indefinable point, I became hooked.

So, at this point, I'm considering going to sleep, so that when I wake up tomorrow, I can go out and buy some. Totally disregarding the fact that I'll be leaving for work before the supermarket opens. Disregarding the fact that I was considering going to bed before (combination of mood swings, indigestion, and general feeling of blah leaving me with the idea that I might as well retire for the evening). Because these things are not important. What is important is the brown cheese.

*Sliced cheese long since devoured; one of last year's best Christmas treats, from a Norwegian woman who really knows how to give good presents.*

7 kommentarer:

Smiler sagde ...

You writing makes me smile. I recognize so much of myself in there. "I did not not like it" is something I would say. I recognize where it comes from anyway. And I love how you end this one "what is important is the brown cheese". Brilliant!

Unknown sagde ...

Hmm. Shall I buy crackers for the weekend? I'm also not certain whether I really like the taste. But now I read about it, and I want some gedeost NOW.

x sagde ...

quick! get your cheese fix!
i don't think i've ever had gedeost but i can relate to this feeling of urgency when it comes to food.
xx

Devil Mood sagde ...

I am yet to find cheese that I don't like. I love cheese, I'm drooling now. Ta-ra.

kimananda sagde ...

Smiler, thank you! I'm almost blushing. :-) And the whole 'I didn't not like it' is the kind of thing I say a lot, along with related things like 'I don't not want to go' (for example to the movies).

Annemarie, it sounds like it's all arranged. I have the cheese ready to pack. I'll bring some crackers as well, and we'll have them together with the stroopwafels that you'll provide. I can't wait! :-)

Chloe, I've got it. It's a very unusual flavor, this gedeost. I'd recommend it.

Ms. Mood, I totally agree about the cheeses. I am very much a fan of almost all of them. The funny thing is that brown cheese is technically not a cheese, and doesn't taste particularly cheese-like. Actually, on occasion, Thor and I will have a meal of different kinds of cheeses and bread. We always consider buying gedeost when we have such a meal, and never do because I think it will clash with the other cheeses. That being said, it's delicious!

Scholiast sagde ...

awww, you're too kind. I forgot how much you like our brown cheese :) I'll see if I can't get your fix ;)

kimananda sagde ...

Ah, thanks...I can clearly get it here, but I prefer it sliced for some reason. Thor offered to slice it for me, and put the slices in between layers of plastic, but somehow I don't think it'd be the same. ;-)