søndag, januar 06, 2008

Just a tiny paradox

Before the paradox can be truly set up, I sent you forthwith to read this.

O.K., now that you're back, let's talk. I agree so much with the whole idea of blogging without obligation. We should all blog when we have something to say or share. Yet, at the same time, I believe so strongly in Blog365, with external motivation to blog regularly. I can't, however, pretend that there's no obligation, ever, inherent in such an endeavor. So, why do it?

The only thing I can think of it that, for me at least, blogging is good for me. If I don't have a deadline to blog (as I am a deadline oriented person, for better or worse), then I do it far too little. With a deadline, blogging becomes much easier, and fulfilling. Does this mean that every post is a gem? No, but that's no different than if I didn't post everyday. The main difference is that, the more posts, the more likely that one of those posts might appeal to any given reader, or more importantly, to me.

So I suppose that what I'm saying is that blogging is on the level of all the other things our mothers warned us to do. It's eating your vegetables, it's wearing clean underwear, it's flossing.

4 kommentarer:

Devil Mood sagde ...

Oh you little Virgo - the daily habits, the obligation ;)
I agree with you though - practice makes perfect even!
And usually your posts appeal to me, so it's great when they're frequent.

I had read that post about the non-obligation and loved it.

erin sagde ...

The way I see it, the only person I'm obligated to post for is myself, because I'm my most dedicated reader, but I find that forcing myself to do it every day makes me write better and it keeps me connected with some neat people.

Geggie sagde ...

I'm a tad daunted by blog365, but I'm giving it a shot, too!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

kimananda sagde ...

Ms. Mood, maybe it is practice makes perfect. Or maybe it's just battling inertia?

Erin, I like the idea of being one's own most dedicated reader. I suppose that works for me as well.

Geggie, daunted doesn't even begin to cover it, especially when I think of all the other things I'm planning for this year. Good luck to both of us!